Can’t love the one you want? Then love the one you’re with. We’re talking about homes, just to be clear. While there’s always a bigger or more beautiful home out there, today’s housing market can be challenging. If you’re pining over houses you know you shouldn’t buy right now, it could be the perfect time for a remodel that puts a smile on your face and builds additional equity. Here’s a list of ideas to get you started.
Start with a Home Equity Line of Credit
You’ll need some money to do a big remodel or update to your home. Two of the best ways to access your equity is to refinance your home loan with One Nevada, or choose a home equity loan. Our pros can help you decide what’s right for you and your budget.
Simple Updates that Make a Big Impact
- Replace the front door: It’s one of the first things a potential homebuyer will touch when they walk into your home. Plus, a new door just looks great.
- Update the garage door: Chances are, your garage door is dented, scratched, and doesn’t open as easy. A new one will add curbside appeal and boost your equity.
- Upgrade all of the light fixtures: Choose LED fixtures to replace the lights on the inside and outside of your home. If a hallway has always seemed extra dark, hire an electrician to install a new light in that area.
- Do some landscaping: Adding flowers and shrubs can make your home seem happier.
Bigger Updates for Bigger Returns
- Add a fresh coat of paint: This includes the inside and outside of your home. If you have a shed or outbuilding, paint it too. You might consider painting the inside of your garage. Be sure to choose standard, primary colors to help with the sale of your home later.
- Replace the roof: If you’re nearing the life expectancy of your current roof, replace it. You’ll enjoy energy savings. Plus, it won’t be a point of contention when you try to sell.
- Get new windows: Do you have single-pane or aluminum frame windows? Replace them with energy-efficient, double-pane, vinyl frame windows. You’ll save money on heating and cooling costs. Those windows can boost the value of your home, too.
- Remodel the kitchen: The kitchen is where a lot of the equity magic happens. By updating your kitchen, you’ll quickly fall back in love with it. However, don’t go overboard. Simply painting cabinets and installing new countertops can make a big impact on your happiness and equity.
- Add a bathroom: If your home could use another bathroom, talk to a professional about your zoning and building options. Adding another bathroom can make your home more livable and valuable.
- Choose new flooring: This can include carpeting, hardwood floors, vinyl flooring options, as well as cork and tile. Be sure to use water-resistant options in the kitchen and bathrooms.
- Redo the deck (or patio): If you have the room, build onto your current deck or patio. The goal is to expand your outdoor living space as much as possible.
One Nevada Understands Your Equity Options
Our home loan professionals can help access the equity in your home, giving you the money to make big improvements. Whether you’re doing it for comfort today or building value for tomorrow, you have equity options that could be tax-deductible.